Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Anyone Studying Nazi Germany?

Shiloah, I apologize. I don't know how this ties in with the theme of the week - but it's what's on my mind.

It's funny how sometimes our studies take a turn on their own. I accepted the book Defying Hitler from Tracy two months back. Then I lost The Time Machine that I had planned on giving to my oldest daughter to read while my core kids learned how to tell time. I kept going right where I had placed it, and it just wasn't there - but The Great Escape was. This isn't including the other book that stared me in the face, begging me to pick it up - Three Against Hitler.

Have you ever glanced at a bookshelf and no matter how many times you glanced at it, the same book always ended up in your line of vision? Or perhaps the title screamed for you to pick it up? Once opened, you found yourself memorized by the contents, wondering why in the world you took so long to open it?

Thus has been my experience the past week. I'm not sure WHO needed to learn about Nazi Germany. I put it that way because it's not the war itself we have been learning about. Defying Hitler is about the events leading up to the war. The Great Escape is (ya'll probably know this) about the POWs who escaped the prison camp by digging a tunnel under the Nazis. Three Against Hitler is the story of three young people (15, 16 & 17) who sought truth and through their actions ended up in front of the Blood Tribunal. One was executed while the other two were imprisoned during the war. All three stories are about resisting propaganda and surviving with convictions intact. Well, there's more than that, but that seems to be the reoccurring theme. All three are true stories, written by those who experienced it first hand.

My husband, myself, and my scholar are studying these things together. We've been trading books back and forth and discussing as we go. It's been an enriching experience - fascinating. And it wasn't even on my list for the year! Here's what we're reading this week:

My husband - Defying Hitler. He has already read Three Against Hitler and The Great Escape. I don't know which core book he's in.

Me - I finished Three Against Hitler Sunday. I've just started Defying Hitler. BOM scripture study.

Scholar - She just finished The Great Escape. She's in the middle of The Phantom Toll Booth - when she's done with that she's going to read the one I just finished. She's reading The New Testament for seminary.

Practice Scholar - The Freedom Factor. She's reading the BOM.

Love of Learner - Any and all phonics books she can get a hold of that she practice reading on her own.

Core - Stellaluna

Family scripture/core study - Doctrine and Covenants

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An interesting list of books (some of which I have read, others not yet) Those with an interest in the period might want to check out my new novel, The Fuhrer Virus. It is a fictional spy/conspiracy/adventure story for adolescent and adult readers. It can be found at www.eloquentbooks.com/TheFuhrerVirus.html or at www.amazon.ca.

Thanks!

Paul Schultz

Curtis Salisbury said...

I have always been fascinated with the WWII stuff. Morbid it seems, but interesting. I'll try to find Defying Hitler. Thanks!