Sunday, September 26, 2010

5,000 Year Leap Colloquium

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." ~Mark Twain



We had the 5000 Year Leap for this month's Colloquium. I read it a couple of months ago, but it is worth re-reading. I found this 5,000 Year Leap Study Guide with Group Questions online and while we didn't have enough time to go over all the questions it is an excellent guide.


I love colloquium. The thoughts, opinions, and ideas that are passed around during this time by intelligent people is inspirational. I always leave uplifted. I have two colloquiums that I belong to. One I am head of and one I participate in. The first one has the following books outlined for us to read:

A House United by Peck
Les Miserables by Hugo
Laddie by Stratton-Porter
Jane Eyre by Bronte
The Future of the Internet by Zittrain

And the second group is reading the following:

October: John Adams by David McCullough **Meeting Oct. 6
November: The Real Thomas Jefferson by Andrew M. Allison
December: The Forgotten Carols by Michael McLean
January: The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
February: Dearest Friend: Letters from Abigail Adams

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. ~Charles W. Eliot

1 comment:

kate lugliani said...

Shiloah!

Are your colloquim open for new members?? I'm interested! If so, may I have the dates and times for your colloquia??

THANKS!
klugliani@hotmail.com

- Kate Lugliani