Monday, November 10, 2008

Examinations

In keeping with the topics we started, I thought I'd talk examinations. Which, I admit, I am TERRIBLE about when it comes to my home school. I forget the value of requiring the mind to sift over information it has already soaked in to form answers.

I found my 11 yr old daughter last week going through an examination on her own. For years I have tried to inspire her to learn about writing. I have hoped that through reading and watching me write she might pick up the torch and get busy with me. Alas, spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure meant nothing to her and she could see no purpose in her future for it.

Then my husband who is teaching Italian at the commonwealth school asked her to write 5 sentences in Italian. She couldn't do it. She didn't know what a sentence was. He told me this a little upset (I can understand that) Friday. Tuesday she came to me and asked, "Mom, what's a sentence? How do I make a sentence?" She's ready to learn.

Sometimes failing is as valuable as winning.


What we're reading:

All: Core book - BOM

Dad: Finishing Ender's Game, a western and Prophets, Principles, and National Security (I don't know what he's studying for scriptures right now)

Mom: Prince Caspin, Prophets, Principles and National Security, Making of America, and Principles of Teaching, New Testament

Scholar: Fahrenheit 451

Practice Scholar: The Making of George Washington

Love of Learner: One of her Dick and Jane Books

Core: M&M's math (go figure - I can't tell you how many times this book has been thrust into my face! lol!)

No comments: