Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Colloquium

We are beginning our first colloquium this month and are reading Robinson Crusoe. Wow, is this an amazing book! I can hardly put it down. I should finish it tonight or tomorrow. I'm trying my hardest to keep my mouth quiet about it around my friends who are reading. It is hard since books become such a part of me and open my eyes to the world in a new way.

Classic books change the way I view life and inspires me to be a better person, or reminds me of things I shouldn't do or try. I would much rather see an example of how a choice changed another person's life for better or worse and apply it to my memory rather than go through the trial or struggles myself.

In a colloquium, we can share and be inspired by what others drew from the book. Whatever things stood out to others can be an addition source of inspiration and consideration when we review the book in our minds.

I recently read Anna Karenina. It was so powerful and literally changed my life. I wished I could have discussed it with someone else who had read the book. I hate the fact that as I discuss it I may spoil a part of the book when talking about how it affected me. With colloquium we can do just that! No more feeling alone in this amazing journey through a new book!

In applying this to homeschooling as well our children can learn in the same way. My older girls love to discuss their books with me. It has a better result when I have read the book too, and thankfully I have for most of them.

When I was homeschooled around the age of twelve, I had a best friend who inspired me to read Anne of Green Gables and the rest of the series. I fell in love with these books- and Anne- immediately. What made it more fun was the opportunity to discuss each book with my friend. I tried to tell my mom about them, but she hadn't read them and so we couldn't have the same deep discussion or share the same hope for Anne marrying Gilbert.

In writing this post it reminded me that the YOU not THEM is important in this as we are the mentors/ examples. It also reminded me that I need to get the ball rolling in having my girls become involved in a small colloquium too.

1 comment:

Pirate Princess said...

Wow - I hated Anna Karenina. But I was a teen when I read it. I probably need to dust it off and try again. I used to say I hated Wuthering Heights, but that was before I raised my nephew. I see it in a whole new light now.